Some great wisdom from Greg Swan
Steps to respond:
- Ask, “Is what’s being said true?” Be honest and have thick skin. (Don’t call the lawyers right away).
- Ascertain if responding will add water or gasoline to the flames.
- What are the response options (comment on the story, write your own perspective on a corporate blog)
- Who will respond: Be in it for the long haul
- Prepare a genuine, to the point response
- Be responsive.
Best Case: Do all this within hours.
Greg also went over a great section on innoculation against brand degredation. Some highlights: Own your company’s identification. If you don’t, someone else will. Use Username Check to nab your identify all over online. Build relationships now, don’t wait. Know who key advocates are in the industry. Treat your critics as experts (even if they aren’t A-listers). Empower community advocates.